May 13, 2013
May 9, 2013
May 4, 2013
May 3, 2013
May 2, 2013
What's to come with...
Interview by Nate Crawford
Hey George, how is your year going so far with your photographic adventures.
- So far this year has been a great eye-opener for me and my influence on photography. I've learned a lot about getting out and about and how to embrace each time I'm out snapping photos, realizing where I'm standing at that exact moment, and how I need to take all my surroundings into mind when shooting.
How many Polaroid's do you think you've taken? How much film do you have left?
- It's hard to say how many Polaroid's I've taken... maybe a couple thousand? I have two "13x13" fireproof boxes I've archived all my Polaroid's in. As far as film stock, I have about 100-130 packs of film to shoot, but I'm constantly shooting and constantly acquiring more film.
Wow. You think you'll ever shoot digital? Do you use any other photographic formats?
- I shoot digital time from time, just whenever the time is right. Hopefully I'll get some jobs soon for magazines and other great things people have going on. Polaroid is my main medium in photography, but I also shoot plenty of 35mm film in my Canon AE-1.
So you recently just published 2 new Polaroid books, what are they themed on?
- Yes, last week I released "SWAIN" and "Aventuras". They are 2 smaller photo books that we're meant to be a project of their own. "SWAIN" is a small collection of males I've known, traveled with, looked up to, and have gotten inspired from. "Aventuras" is a documentation of my epic adventure to Guatemala this past March, It holds the majority of all the Polaroid's I shot over there. It's a beautiful piece and I'm so happy to have produced it. Both of the new books were produced in a very small edition of ONLY 20 copies each, which makes it interesting. Over half of "Aventuras" is sold and "SWAIN" is following right behind.
You've made 5 photo books now, how many are you wanting to make?
- I have a continuing series of Polaroid books that started with "Never Left Home Vol.1" which was my very first book I made, covered the first couple years of my travels and life with my Polaroid camera. Then "Until Winter Vol.2" came out last December, that book covered the entire year of 2012 with Polaroid's I shot. It's my biggest book, and I think it will remain the biggest book out of my collection when it's all said in done. 2012 was a long year of my life and I'm glad that it only exists in the form of a book now. The very last book I'll be publishing will be done in the next year or so, it's titled "Start of the Howl Vol.3" , which is representing me finding myself as a young man, a father, and a wild wanderer with a camera. I'm excited about it, and excited to finish the series with a positive ender. After the books are done, I'll just be starting my life and photographic journeys.
Sounds awesome George, any last words you want to get out?
I want to thank the people who have supported me as a photographer, and who have supported my work. Thank you for supporting my books so I can continue to produce them and get my work in your hands, because that's my main goal. Also Thank you Filson for sharing my work and stories with your brands reputation, as well as TheImpossibleProject for putting my work on product advertisements. It's been an honor all-around and I'm just hoping for a long healthy life with my son and my camera.